HOW TO CLEAN YOUR ADIDAS RUNNING SHOES
A guide to cleaning and maintaining running shoes
The outdoors can be tough on your running shoes. They'll face the wear and tear of mud puddles, dirt roads and pavement. Some simple maintenance can get out grass stains and scuffs, and keep your shoes looking fresh, even when they're worn. Here is our guide to cleaning and maintaining your running shoes.
When the time comes to clean your shoes, follow these dos and don’ts.
- Remove excess dirt - Use a soft brush, like an old toothbrush, to wipe away surface dust, being careful not to further scuff the material.
- Mix up soap & water - Add eco-friendly laundry detergent to a little warm water, and use a washing cloth to rub gently onto superficial stains in the fabric.
- Rub off - Rinse the washing cloth in warm water, and apply to the same areas to remove the detergent.
- Dry the shoes - Dry your shoes at room temperature, adding paper towels or newspaper on the inside to soak up the liquid.
- Freshen Laces - Wash, or replace, your laces.
- Air your insoles - Remove the insoles of your shoes while cleaning to get rid of the smell. In case of intense odour, sprinkle on a small amount of baking soda.
- Put your shoes in the washing machine. This can discolour or damage the fabric.
- Place them close to a radiator or use external heaters. To guarantee retaining the shape of the sneaker you should dry them at room temperature.
- Use alternative cleaning products including chemicals and bleach.
- Use a hard brush, or scrub harshly. This can particularly damage weave or mesh materials used in models including Pure Boost and Ultra Boost.
Here are some additional tips to keep your shoes clean:
To keep your running shoes in top condition, make sure you don’t leave them outside. The sun can wear the outer and make white soles go yellow.
After your run make sure to remove any stains as soon as possible. When leaving them for too long they will start to permeate into the fabric of your shoe, which can be damaging in the long-term. When the washing is done, complete the final and most important step: take your shoes out for a run.
Feel like treating yourself? Find a fresh new pair of shoes.